That something so simple as Crème Brûlée can be so good is amazing. It´s a classic dessert from the french kitchen, that will impress your guests. It takes a wile in the oven and is best done the day before serving. The secret to succeed is to use good quality vanilla-pod and to “double burn” it. I like to serve my Crème Brûlée with fresh berries.
I found this fool proof recipe from a swedish chef called Leila Lindholm, http://www.leilasgeneralstore.com.
Photo: Fredrik Övgård
Classic Crème Brûlée
Makes 6 portions
5 dl (2 cups) Double Cream
1 dl (1/2 cup) Milk
5 Egg Yolks
1 dl (1/2 cup) Sugar
1 fresh Vanilla Pod
- Put oven on 95°C (200 F).
- Whips together cream, milk and yolks.
- Cut and scrape off the seeds from the vanilla-pod and mix with little bit of sugar. Add all the sugar in the batch.
- Fill six porcelain molds and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 2-3 hours. When you shake the mold, they should not tremble too much in the middle.
- Let them cool over night i the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle an evan layer of sugar over the Brûlée and burn the sugar with a gas burner or burn the sugar in the oven under the grill heat 250°C (475 F).
- Optional: If you are like me and like it even crunchier, sprinkle a second layer of sugar and burn it once more.