Who doesn’t love a golden, rustic, soft on the inside, crispy on the outside baguette? In our home we eat gluten free, but we still want to enjoy this goodness. This recipe is easy and naturally free from gluten. A lot of the gluten free flour mixes contain additives that you don’t need. I prefer to use naturally gluten free flour such as rice, corn, sorghum, buck wheat, coconut etc. that is not only better for you, but also taste better.
Makes 3 baguettes
3 dl Rice Flour (1 1/3 cups)
3 dl Buck Wheat Flour (1 1/3 cups)
1 dl Maizena/Corn Stark (1/2 cup)
2 teaspoons Salt
½ dl Psyllium Husk (1/4 cup)
2 tablespoons Pofiber
2 tablespoons Fibrex
50 g fresh Yeast (4 teaspoons dry yeast)
7 dl Water, 37ºC, finger temperature (3 cups)
1 Egg White
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
½ dl Honey (1/4 cup)
- Put the oven on 225ºC (450F).
- Put all dry ingredients in a large bowl and blend well.
- Combine yeast and warm water in another bowl. Add egg white, olive oil and honey.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until it forms a sticky dough. Let it rest under a towel for 30 minutes until double size.
- Put some rice flour on the table and pour out the dough. Cut it into 3 parts and form 3 baguettes.
- Put the baguettes on a baking sheet and sprinkle with rice flour. Let it rest under a towel for 30 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes. When you bake gluten free bread it´s better to bake it a little bit longer than to short.
- Let the baguette cool completely before you enjoy them.
Photo: Fredrik Övgård