The other day we were in a shop that we like and where we usually buy cheese and cold cuts. This time we also got some semi-dried tomatoes that were delicious. Of course I had to make my own.
To dry your own semi-dried tomatoes is crazy easy. All you need is a little patience and an oven. Make sure to use organic tomatoes and a good quality olive oil to make them extra healthy and tasty. When the tomatoes are finished you also have a nice tomato oil that you for instance can drizzle on salads.
Semi-dried tomatoes are delicious for everything from pizza and pasta to quiches and tapas plates. Follow these easy steps to make your own at home.
Photo: Fredrik Övgård
1,5 kg (3.3 pounds) Tomatoes, I used small tomatoes in different colors
Cloves of Garlic
Fresh Herbs, I used Rosemary and Oregano
- Set oven to 100°C (200 F) or less.
- Clean and dry the tomatoes. Remove core, and cut into pieces, remembering that the drying process will shrink them somewhat. If using cherry tomatoes, just halve through the core.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Put tomatoes on a baking paper lined on a baking tray, skin side down. Dry slowly. Expect them to take at least three hours.
- When done remove from oven. Leave to cool slightly before storing in clean jars filled with olive oil, garlic, herbs and chili.
- Store in fridge. Keeps for months.