Pavlova is a meringue-based dreamy dessert with a crisp crust and soft, light inside, usually topped with fruit and, optionally, whipped cream. In this recipe of Summer Pavlova I make small portion size pastries and fill them with chocolate cream and fresh berries.
This dessert is perfect when you have left over egg whites and wondering what to do with them. That happens to me all the time and this time after I made a batch of gelato, were you use a lot of egg yolks. The Pavlova is also pretty easy when you are in need of a fancy dessert and don´t want to put in a lot of time and effort. You can even bake the meringues a few days in advance and store at room temperature if you want.
It´s a beautiful dessert and everybody loves it! What do you like to fill your Pavlova with?
Photo: Fredrik Övgård
Summer Pavlova with Chocolate Cream
Makes 6-8 portions
3 Egg Whites, room temperatured
3 dl (1 1/3 cups) Sugar
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
1 tablespoon Cornstarch
2,5 dl (1 cup) Double Cream
3 tablespoons Icing Sugar
50 g (2 oz) Dark Chocolate, melted
Fresh berries, such as strawberries, raspberries and blueberries
Dark Chocolate, chopped
- Meringues: Preheat the oven to 150°C (300 F).
- Beat the egg whites until they become white and firm. Add sugar and lemon juice and whisk until the mixture has become glossy. Stir in the cornstarch.
- Add the meringue mixture in a piping bag or small plastic bag, cut a small hole and pipe it on a baking sheet with parchment paper, the bottoms should be about 10 centimeters (4 inches) in diameter.
- Bake for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 100°C (210 F) and bake for another 30 minutes. Let them cool on a rack.
- Chocolate Cream: Whip the cream together with melted chocolate and icing sugar. Fill a piping bag with the cream.
- Fill the meringues with the chocolate cream and garnish with berries, chocolate and mint.